Incidents caused by faulty wiring account for about 51,000 fires every year, being the third leading cause of fires in the home. If you are concerned about your home’s wiring, below you’ll find a few tips to help you determine if you need to call an electrician.
Burning Smell & Discolored Outlets
A visual cue that shows faulty wiring is discoloration of your outlet and lights switches. This is caused by loose connections within the outlet causing sparks and arcs that result in small fires. These fires cause the outside of the outlet to char, causing the discoloration.
Not only does this cause major damage to your outlets over time, but it also creates a hazard for anyone trying to use the outlet.
If the discoloration is inside the walls, unable to be seen, the issue is usually detected by a distinct burning smell. If you are frequently noticing a burning smell and you can’t identify the source, it is most likely a problem with your electrical system. The best course of action is to shut off your power and call an electrician immediately.
Another warning sign of faulty wiring is the frequent flickering or dimming of lights in certain sockets. Before immediately assuming that your wiring is to blame, try fully screwing in the light bulb or install a new one to see if it fixes the issue. If the flickering persists, it may be an indicator that the circuit is either being overloaded or has an issue with loose wiring.
If you notice light bulbs frequently burning out in a particular socket, it is a sure sign that the fixture cannot handle the wattage of the bulb. This problem is caused by wiring that was originally designed to carry the bare minimum amount of wattage that has now been outgrown.
If your home is using aluminum wiring you are at a much higher risk of fires and injury. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, aluminum wiring is far more susceptible to failure and overheating, which leads to electrical fires.
If you are interested in checking whether your wires are made of aluminum, it is easy to distinguish. All you have to do is take a look at one of your wires in your home and check for the inscription “AL” (for aluminum) on the jacket of the wire.
There is no warning light in your home that tells you that you’re in need of rewiring, but there are certain signs you can look for. Rewiring an entire home requires an experienced professional. If you see the signs of faulty wiring in your home, contact the licensed electricians at All Electric Services through our website or give us a call at (407) 890-7782.