Top

Signs Your Home Needs Rewiring

Close up of wires

If you have an electrical issue in your home, it's essential to get it taken care of immediately. A wiring problem can be dangerous and costly if left unattended. Fortunately, there are some easy ways to recognize when your home is due for rewiring—and what to do next!

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights are a common sign of a bad connection, loose wire, or short circuit. If your lights flicker on and off when they should be steady, it could be because your wiring needs to be replaced. This can happen if the insulation has worn away over time and there’s no longer enough protection around the wires to keep them from overheating or getting damaged when they rub against something else.

There are several other reasons why this might happen—a loose connection or bad light bulb could also cause flickering. If you notice any of these issues with your home’s wiring or electrical system, it’s time for professional help!

Discolored Outlets

if you notice that only some outlets are discolored, there may be something wrong with the connection between them. This could mean that there's some loose wiring behind your walls or in other places around your house where electricity comes from—if so, it will need to be fixed before anything else happens (like frying everything else).

There's another possibility: The most common causes of discolored outlets are overheating and overloading the circuit. Overheating can happen when devices are plugged into a power strip or extension cord and draw too much power, causing the wires to heat up past their capacity.

Overloading is when more than one device is plugged into an outlet at once, causing it to overload and eventually fry the wiring inside your wall.

Burning Smells

If you notice a burning smell, your wires are likely overheating. This could be due to several causes:

  • Overloading the circuit with too many electrical devices plugged into it at once (for example, if you have three televisions and one lamp plugged into one outlet)

  • Faulty wiring in the home itself that needs to be repaired by a professional

  • Worn out power cables or cords that need replacement

Burning smells are never a fun time, and be sure to contact our electricians immediately when you notice the smell! Sometimes homeowners report on top of smokey smells; there is a somewhat fishy odor coming from outlets. This fishy odor typically is the smell of plastic burning.

Other Ways To Help Spot Old Wiring

If you’re unsure whether your home wiring is old, an electrician can help. They can also tell you if it's safe for use and whether or not it needs to be replaced.

If your home has older wiring, there are a few things to look out for:

  • Power fluctuations

  • Power outages

  • Frequent sparks coming from your outlet

All Electric Services has got you covered when it comes to dealing with any and all electrical problems year-round, so give us a call today at (407) 890-7782.

Categories: 
Related Posts
  • Signs Your Ceiling Fan Has Electrical Problems Read More
  • Avoid These Common Wiring Mistakes in DIY Projects Read More
  • How to Tell If Your Home Needs Rewiring Read More
/